Table of contents:
- Find "Calendar Feed Links" of Each Course in Brightspace
- Add "Calendar Feed Links" of Each Course to Google
- Link Courses to Shovel (via Google) When Starting a New Term
- Organize Imported Tasks in Shovel
- Link Shovel Courses to Google If You Have an Existing Term
Currently, we use Google Calendar to import your Brightspace assignments (contained in your Brightspace calendar feed URL link - described below) into Shovel.
This guide assumes you are already logged into your Brightspace (D2L) account and that you have a Google account.
Get Calendar Feed Links For Each Course
1.1. On the homepage of Brightspace, navigate to "Calendar"
1.2. Click on Settings
1.3. Enable Calendar Feeds (needs to be checked)
1.4. Click "Subscribe"
1.5. Select Course in Dropdown
Make sure you select the right course.
1.6. Copy Link
Add Brightspace Links to Your Google Calendar
2.1. Open Your Google Calendar
If you do not have a Google Account yet, create it here.
2.2. Click "+" next to "Other Calendars"
2.3. Select "From URL"
2.4. Paste the Brightspace URL into Google Calendar
2.5. Press button "Add calendar"
After this step, your new calendar will appear in the left sidebar.
You can go back with the arrow in top left.
2.6. Repeat steps to add each individual course from Brightspace into Google Calendar
2.7. To rename added calendar (Optional)
Find 3 dots when you hover the calendar in the left sidebar.
Linking Brightspace courses (via Google) to courses in Shovel
3.1. Open Shovel
Login to your Shovel account.
If you do not have a Shovel account yet, create it here.
3.2. If you're new to Shovel or if you are creating a new term in Shovel, follow steps until you get to "Courses"
3.3. Click "Add course from Google calendar" button
3.4. Choose your Google Account (if you have multiple)
3.5. Press Allow
3.6. Select the courses you are taking this term (the ones you added from Brightspace)
3.7. Change color (Optional)
3.8. Shorten course names (Optional)
3.9. Press Next
- You created a Google account if you didn't have one
- You added a calendar feed URL of each Brightspace course into Google calendar
- You added individual calendars (courses) from your Google Account into Shovel
Shovel will be able to Show your Brightspace assignments (if your professor put them in) as tasks inside Shovel.
That way you do not have to create your tasks manually inside Shovel.
4.1. Navigate to "Task List"
4.2. Select course in the sidebar by clicking on it (Your imported courses will show here)
4.3. Your imported tasks will show in the task list
4.4. Select Similar Tasks And Use "Action Bar" to Organize Them
The 4 things you should do to get your tasks organized
5.1. Categorize each task
If you have similar tasks. For example: if you have 5 quizzes, create a category called "Quizzes." Change the emoji for that category. Attach all 5 quizzes to the category.
5.2. Set "Start Ahead" for each task.
Do this based on category as similar tasks will have similar traits. Here is why in a 1-minute video:
5.3. Estimate each task
Estimate how much time you'll need to finish each task. Do this based on "category" since similar tasks will require a similar amount of time. Here is why in a 1-minute video:
5.4. Add reading sources, time per page, and the number of pages you need to read for each reading task.
Chances are you'll have to complete a lot of readings.
- Identify each reading task (you can categorize it as "Read for class")
- Figure out what you'll be reading from (Chemistry Textbook, Novel, PDF, etc). Create a "reading source" for each. You're doing this so Shovel can calculate how much time you'll need for each reading task based on how long it will take you to read 1 page in a particular reading source (Textbooks read slower than novels).
- Enter how long it will take you to read one page in each reading source (estimate at first, you can adjust it later).
- Enter how many pages you need to read for each reading task and Shovel will calculate how much time you'll need for that task.
If you already added your courses to Shovel manually, you can still link a Google Calendar to each course in Shovel.
- Click the 3 dots when you hover over course in the left sidebar.
- Select "Link Google Cal." and follow the steps.
If you do not see your added Google Calendar (specific course) that you just added to your Google Account, your Google Account may not have synced with Shovel yet.
How To Sync Google Calendar
- Navigate to Calendar
- Find Google Calendar at the bottom of the left sidebar
- Hover over it
- Click the "Sync" button
If you have any questions that we did not answer, please contact us in the chat in the bottom right corner. We'll usually answer within a few minutes.